staycation

staycation

all the kids

all the kids

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Water Under the Bridge

The Mags and Dew and I (and Becky) walked down to the water today. It's almost an hour walk there, with two horses and a dog. We went under a tunnel, up a broad dirt path, away from noise and humanity, and out into the wilderness of the dam.

I was walking them on the ground because I wasn't ready to be riding and leading Maggie on her first trip out into the great big trail. Plus Dewey had a sore foot. So we just walked the whole way there.

We got to the water, which is usually a creek, but because of rain it is now a rushing river. I stood on the edge while the horses tested the water for drinking freshness and I thought about crossing it. It would be good to get the new horse used to crossing big water. But today? First day out?

A cowboy passed by us, to cross the water, so we had to move our little 2000 pound horsehair convoy out of the way so he could pass easily.

"First time here," I said to him.
"All of them?" He said.
"Just her," I said.
"Take it easy," he said. "No rush."
His horse crossed the river, walking carefully, the sound of the water rushing over the rocks.

The horses looked at me like what do we do. Boss. Becky looked up too, standing in the water at my feet, tongue hanging out.

We walked back up the trail. We got our feet wet, at least. The river will be there.
Nice and easy.