staycation

staycation

all the kids

all the kids

Friday, June 1, 2018

Santapplause


So after 13 years at our little elementary, it’s the last volunteer thank you brunch.

I was always looking forward to this, because I knew one day it was going to be MY year, the year that wrapped everything up for me, where I’d served my kids all these years at this school, and not just my kids, but everybody’s kids – I had used myself well here.  Our family had run the Santa’s Workshop every year, and the Book Fair all by ourselves – I bake cookies, and bread in classrooms not even just my daughter’s class, but other rooms. We helped run talent shows with the famous Ms. Eick. At easter I bring the bunnies in to all the classes for kids to pet and see. I once even brought a newborn goat named Elvis.

So it’s finally MY YEAR, where I get to sit there and hear them say my name and maybe they’ll say something like thank god for Julie, she’s been here. She’s done her time. People are better because of her. The school is richer, the kids are happier.

I have this tiny thought in the back of my head, oh, but it’s a new principal. She doesn’t actually know me too well. But she did see me do the Book Fair at least. Then another little thought, oh, but now all the teachers have eaten and gone back to their classrooms, so actually all the people that know me and are grateful to me aren’t even in the room. I’m in the room with half of Venezuela and the PTA I abandoned, and one retired tiny voiced teacher I know. I shoulda maybe considered my Oscar audience here.

So they’re calling out names and people are getting little paper certificates that say “You’re an Idiot for Volunteering but Thanks” basically, and three people clap, and yes, this is how I end my 13 years at Stonehurst. Just like that. 3 people clap, most people are eating pineapple, and I go back to my seat and that’s the end.

There’s no gushing. There’s no crying. I pass the special ed grown up kid who comes to volunteer with other similar dudes from the adult special ed school up the street, they come and make copies for the teachers and stuff and he’s always so happy and he’s holding the same exact paper I have and he’s SO HAPPY, he’s saying “I have NEVER gotten a certificate for ANYTHING in my life before!!” And there’s me with the same paper, chagrined, and laughing at myself.

Right before this lunch, we had seen Lilly’s last dance festival of her life at this school, where the 5th graders do a dance in shirts they tie dyed themselves, it’s a tradition to do the Pata Pata dance and wear the tie dye, and I was videoing it and a tear sliding down my face and then slowly more tears because this and everything here at this little school has raised me and my kids into the people we are, 13 years later. I had some curly headed little 5 year old blondes that became taller blondes, and these were the halls we walked and the gentle people we knew and the teachers who nurtured us. Growing up up and away. I realized that it doesn’t matter what piece of paper you get, or who claps for you even though that’s the way it looks in the movies.

I did Santa’s Workshop because my kids liked it, and I could sell a lot of things out of my garage there. And because all kids really like fart putty and who else was going to get it for them to buy except me. And because little kids brought me fists of money to buy things for Christmas and they were so excited. I didn’t know that was my applause because it looked different and sounded different. It looked a little bit like work, and felt loud and busy. But the moments in the crowded library, immersed neck deep in kids, that was my applause.

I did everything because I wanted to do it. I wanted to be a part of it. It grew me this huge heart as a by product, which doesn’t sound anything like applause.  But weirdly, that’s what it is.

So going into that lunch I didn’t know that I was already a walking award, what did I need with another award. Another award would be WEIRD.

So in this case, I did what any mother would do. I hugged the people who mattered to me. I felt without really seeing, the familiar walls and trees and classrooms and kids, all around me. I perused the free buffet and packed a bunch of cookies in a plastic cup to bring to my kids later. Because they’re always hungry.

I mattered, I gave, I have happy kids, I got some cookies.