staycation

staycation

all the kids

all the kids

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

It's Not That Big a Puzzle

You  know we all fit together, right.

I've been doing a lot of puzzles and even when you open them new from the box and dump them out and you're days into solving it and you're sure there are missing pieces even though it was NEW you just have to hang on. It was NEW. It's all in there. And even if you have an old puzzle, as my niece Neisha said, when I was grumping over an old puzzle and was sure there was a piece missing, she said, so you color one. Shrugging. Stick it in. You still did it.

My friend was texting me cause she was worried about getting the free food from school for her kids. Because you feel poor when you drive thru and get free food. She said do they ask for i.d. Do you have to have a kid in the car. I don't live in the neighborhood. Can I get some for the grown ups. I said it's a social service. We're in an emergency. It's even advertised as open to the community. They WANT to give you the food. They're nice. Even though I worked there and know that's how they feel on the inside of the operation, I would also feel nervous about driving through that line. Asking for basic things I need. Why is this? In life? Why am I shy saying could you please touch me. Could you please talk to me. Could you please love me a tiny bit.

I know that all of it is all connected, that's all we do in nature and life is recreate connection. We fit screens to fit exactly into window frames. Bees connect all the flowers so we can have honey on toast. Dappled sun comes through tall jungle leaves in dots and so leopards are bathed in black dots against forest yellow floor fur. So they fit. Nature wants us to fit. No wait, nature doesn't want us to fit, nature just fits. If you turn around when you're in a hula hoop and try to figure out why it's going around your waist with nothing holding it up, you're missing out on the fact that you're in the middle of a magical hula hoop.

There's alot of  noise out there trying to distract us from the basic fact that all our pieces fit. Even the leader of our free world tries hard to tell us we don't fit. We're doing it all wrong. He is on a pretty high platform, he could even scrape the top of his head on god if he was looking up. And still he doesn't understand the puzzle.

The food is for you. I got to make it for you for awhile. Other times you make it for me. The impossible puzzle with the million black edge pieces with the yellow stripe will fit together. Sometimes you can't work from the outside edge in, usually that's easier to get the frame first. But sometimes you have to go where you see a picture you recognize and work outwards.