staycation

staycation

all the kids

all the kids

Sunday, October 4, 2020

 


                                Dottering


                                     by


                            Juliet Johnson

                              Aug 26 2020



EXT. POOL - DAY 


Jules and her mother Bonnie are by the pool.


JULES 

I can't look at her


BONNIE 

Why


JULES 

She's not really here.


BONNIE 

I'm here, look I'm wearing this dress I always wear.


JULES 

You're a ghost. I could put my whole hand through you.


BONNIE 

(laughs)

Okay try it


JULES 

I mean when Will had that brain injury it was the same thing only better because he was young and there was a chance he could heal up and get better and you


BONNIE 

Me


JULES 

This is the last act the last act is you going out like this only worse and worse and then just not


BONNIE 

Hm


JULES 

Anymore


Quiet


BONNIE 

you don't like my dress?


JULES 

I like your dress. I mean you used to dress less... old ladyish. But the flowers are pretty. You used to wear like skin tight jeans with no underwear. I don't know how you did that jeans are so uncomfortable WITH underwear, and loose. They're so heavy.


Bonnie laughs


BONNIE 

I was a hottie


JULES 

You thought so for sure


BONNIE 

I had to have my time


JULES 

Yeah I had your time too. And then I had the aftermath of your time whcih took me time to dig myself out from with the help of a therapist and like a shovel. And now look I'm still having your time. Only this time it's a twofer. Two people one brain. Wait it was always that.


BONNIE 

You don't have to know everything


JULES 

Yes I do


BONNIE 

It doesn't help to know everything


JULES 

It does though


BONNIE 

It's sometimes better to know less


JULES 

When is it better


BONNIE 

Feel instead


JULES 

I feel plenty. I feel like strangling you. 

BONNIE 

(laughs)

Well spend alot of time with anybody and I dare you not to feel that way


JULES 

True


BONNIE 

About anybody


JULES 

Maybe not Charlize Theron.


BONNIE 

Well


JULES 

I mean she is so beautiful


BONNIE 

But can she type


JULES 

She is a map I would like to stick some flags on


BONNIE 

Alot of people


JULES 

Have I'm sure.Still. Maybe I'd like to be her. AND be with her.


BONNIE 

You didn't get that from me


JULES 

I certainly got that from you.


BONNIE 

No


JULES 

You were the biggest whore


BONNIE 

Not really


JULES 

Next time do your whoring before you have me. So I can just be a teenager. And get all the attention.


BONNIE 

We had alot of time together. 


JULES 

We did, mom.


BONNIE 

I wasn't perfect but we had alot of time. We knew each other, we three with your stupid brother.


JULES 

He is stupid


BONNIE 

We were close.


JULES 

We were everything.


BONNIE 

And the dogs.


JULES 

Always the dogs too.


BONNIE 

Not many people have even that. Have a pretty frank conversation about things. Some people don't even have that once with their kids growing up. 


JULES 

Frank is a good dog name.


BONNIE 

We had an open house, open beds, open floor plan, furniture shoved all to the corners of the room


JULES 

So you could dance


BONNIE 

Better that way


JULES 

Music and dancing

BONNIE 

I lasted as long as I could. The way you liked me


JULES 

I wish you hadn't left


BONNIE 

I know.


JULES 

I wish you hadn't spent the last ten years with an idiot alcoholic


BONNIE 

My mom dying really hurt. I wanted to be back in her house. I thought maybe I could get her back if I left her stuff all the way she left it.


JULES 

All your stuff was still in the shed. We had to get it all out.


BONNIE 

I'm sorry about my brain.


JULES 

I'm really sorry about your brain.


BONNIE 

It just doesn't work the same. I don't know the names of things.


JULES 

I'm good at knowing what you're thinking.


BONNIE 

Feeling.


JULES 

I feel what you're feeling.


BONNIE 

You always have. It's what daughters do.


JULES 

I was the only one.

BONNIE 

I told you how happy I was to have a girl. You're my girl. I wanted to have a girl so badly. You came. I never thought I'd have a girl,  I told you that every chance I could. I told you at the hospital I was laughing because I could buy you dresses and then crying because none of the handmedowns from your brother would be right. I told you how much I loved you and wanted you. Alll the time


JULES 

You did


BONNIE 

I can't tell you now, that's why I told you so much then. In case I couldn't get the words out later. I can't get the words out of my pen to write it even


JULES 

I wish I kept more of your writing where you write all over the page how much you love me


BONNIE 

You know I love you right


JULES 

I don't mom


BONNIE 

I love you even if I can't say it or say it the way you want me to say it. You have to fill in the words for me Jules. Can you


JULES 

I don't want to mom


BONNIE 

Can you please help me remember me please


JULES 

(crying)

BONNIE 

No one is going to remember me like you remember me my baby girl. You're the only girl.


JULES 

I don't want all this pain


BONNIE 

I'm so sorry


JULES 

I don't want the pain I only sign on for the good stuff like the pizza and the bank account


BONNIE 

You got me, I am still here. My shape is here and my love is here and my body is here and my hair is here and my feet are here and my heart is here and my essence is here you have to look at me like a candle that is here still here


JULES 

I didn't know it was ever going to stop, like gramma stopped, I just thought it would be different with us, I thought you'd always be there annoying me with your chatter and your heaps of love and your ability to make me feel important


BONNIE 

I am still trying to do that. I'm just sort of


JULES 

Invisible


BONNIE 

I'm changing


JULES 

Like the butterfly


BONNIE 

I can't be here for ever


JULES 

But you brought me here

BONNIE 

I didn't mean to leave you my baby. You know I would never leave any baby that I loved. I loved you guys so much. You're all that mattered, all I did that mattered.


JULES 

I know. I did that with my kids, what you did. I just loved them like I loved nothing else like I could never love anything else. I loved them with all of my heart, with more than that. I didn't miss a minute


BONNIE 

I didn't miss a minute either. We had alot of time, more than most.


JULES 

I kept trying to heal you.


BONNIE 

Lyme disease, dementia. 

(laughs)

You can't heal everything. You can't heal anything, really, you can just laugh and try to love well.


JULES 

I wish I was better, could love better while also being a good daughter. I am in so much pain. It is snaking up me like a spine.


BONNIE 

Feel my hand on your back. I always had my hand on you somehow, I always was touching you. 


JULES 

That's why I think I am knowing that the time is ending, even if it is years like this, the time of you knowing me is ending. I wanted you to know me and be proud of me always


BONNIE 

I am your spirit, and your love. I am your body and your heart. My body is just failing me in its own way and trying to keep me from knowing it. It's trying to be merciful. Try and help me be good to you and to me and to the kids. Will you


JULES 

(crying)

I hate this


BONNIE 

Will you


JULES 

I am a terrible daughter


BONNIE 

Don't stop asking me to go swimming. I will go when I can


JULES 

I want you always, mom.


BONNIE 

Don't stop making me dinner and holding my hand when we walk. Don't stop handing me carrots to feed the horses and don't stop loving me when my eyes look like there's no part of me left in there. I just can't control the look in there. I am not all in control I am sorry


JULES 

I know


BONNIE 

You know me Jules


JULES 

I do


BONNIE 

You're my only daughter