staycation

staycation

all the kids

all the kids

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Power Struggle

We were just sitting there Friday night, the wind whipping through the tree out the window and rain playing battleship against the window and then the power goes out. Bess was in the bathroom and she said she heard a pop. Then Darkness.

Ahh, some candles, and a little fire, no problem. It’ll come on soon. The rain was pretty bad though. It’s almost bedtime, it’s around 10:30 pm. I realized after about a half an hour uh oh

Our guest house which is lower than the regular house, has a French drain (which is a big rectangular hole) with a pump that collects the water and then shoots it out away from the house. To avoid the water flooding just directly into the house. So in rain when you hear that pump shooting the water every few minutes with the thump of a paint ball gun, you know you won’t be hefting tons of towels into a wet soggy guest house to clean up the massive water surge, so the pump sound is good.

It took me a half hour of quiet powerless bliss before I though uh oh. The pump is plugged in and the plugs don’t work now. And the rain, she is pouring like a generous gramma with a grand canyon size jug of syrup on a stack of rocky mountain high pancakes.

Uh Barry, I say. The pump has not been on for a half an hour.

From now on, the part of fucked will be played by us.

We scramble out the back door, how bad could it be, and there is water a few inches above the bottom of her door.  Meaning much water already slid with its water friends right under the door. I texted our tenant. Um. You might have a flood.

Did I mention it was 11 pm. I actually figured out about the pump even earlier than half an hour, I just did NOT want to get up and deal with it. Because my elbows are shredded from lifting my mom they are screaming everytime I brush my hair or lift a toothpick.

So there B and I are, with a bathroom trash can and a horse feed bucket, bailing buckets of water and throwing them far down the driveway so they don’t just feed back into the lake by the door.

It’s pounding rain, and B normally doesn’t get up much except to get a salad or go to a basketball game so I suddenly thought as he is bailing water and carrying heavy buckets that dammit why didn’t I finish that eulogy for him. I text Nathan who is out with Brie doing Door Dash cause it pays really well delivering in the rain and I say we’re in trouble dude

It’s midnight now and we haven’t reached the bottom of the lake. I gave our tenant about 50 thousand old towels which I saved TEN YEARS FOR THIS MOMENT and she worked on the inside sopping up the Rio Grande in there while we bailed on the outside.

Nathan rushes back like Batman to pick me up and a shovel so we can go fill sandbags at the fire station but then he can’t get in the neighborhood because the neighbor’s HOUSE IS ON FIRE. So he’s a block away watching someone’s life go up in flames for an hour while we try to dam the river with our tears.

All I know next is that Nathan and I are filling sandbags at the fire station in the rain at 3:30 am. Next to some other dudes. Sandbags are the corpses of your enemies. Even in death, their weight is still all on you and you have to use someone’s help to get them into the trunk. Nathan does all that lifting. All of it.

We get back to the house where water is still thronging to the guest house like it’s late for an Oscar party and we dam that fucker in three places. Then we sit there for an hour as the water slowly builds up and we bail it and then watch it fill again.

I go to bed from 4 to 6.

B from this morning on, and Nathan, and I, never stop. We are pioneers just trying to keep the house from flooding, people from freezing and dementia mom from dying. We live in LOS ANGELES.  Modern life is out the window. Our meth neighbor has firewood he’s chopped up for years during his manic meth binges and the wood is piled from his yard to the international space station. We catch him out there by chance and he says take all you want. He’s not really going to space much anymore.

Nathan and B pile the wood and then Aela who came to visit the powerless, and Brie and Bess and I make a log line and ferry the logs from cart to front door to fireplace. B runs to get a generator. More rain is coming and we can’t bail again.

The Department of Water and Failure keeps telling us that the power will be on again at 4. And then 6. And then tomorrow. And then the next day.

Emma comes home from Santa Barbara to see her old roommates from London and go to the Academy Award museum and two of the friends who have driven from Berkeley get about one minute from the museum in the rain and they hit a pothole and pop two tires. So her museum meeting with her friends is standing in the street in the rain waiting for a tow truck for hours and then eating pizza in a hotel room.

It is nice, in the middle of this, at sporadic moments, to be sitting in the freezing dark next to the only warm spot, the fire, with your family, in the middle of a city where almost everyone else has power restored and here you are lighting candles and sticking them into Martinelli bottles and that’s your actual light for 5 days.  The family part, even in brain hurting emergencies, is still the best part.

The generator says it will work for 8 hours on two gallons of gas which is true if you don’t turn it on or plug anything into it and use it. I think it can even work longer than that. To run the pump that keeps the flood away, you have to refill the fucker every 2 hours ish. Then we add one heater to the plug and we might as well all drink the gasoline and light ourselves on fire.

Every time we go outside and come back in we have to peel off sopping clothes and leave a wet pile. Nathan runs out of shoes, and pants and sweats. We have a pile of wet towels from the guest house flood on the porch in a mound large enough to house several eskimo families.

By the third night, we realize we will never have power again. I have cleaned out the wet and leaking fridge, so we are not burdened with food, or the need to eat it. I realize that without tv you don’t get hungry. You’re too busy getting wood, watching the weather, pouring gas in the generator, keeping mom dryfedwarm, mucking the barn. You are in emergency power mode and you can’t relax.

By the third night we slept mom on her wheelchair tipped into corpse mode (it looked like we were about to throw her body to sea) because we couldn’t get the electric bed in her room back into the flattened shape it needed to be in without running a cable out there in the freezing and it was too cold and I couldn’t run any other cable or do any other thing that required me to do it.

By last night, we were in a laundromat with the eskimo towel igloo washing everything. Nathan had stopped talking because why talk anymore. But also he realized in the midst of this hell weekend that he never wanted to work as a therapist in his life and now here he is in grad school for counseling. His feeling of failure to himself is bigger than any late night generator gas fillage.

That night we run a cable to my mom’s and put her in her bed and put a heater on in there from the generator. The kids sleep in front of the fire and when the rain stops they are too depressed to unplug the pump and put the plug in a heater so they can have a heater on them. They’ve pretty much decided we are always going to live like this. Less is more.

It’s no fun being a pioneer it’s all about warm and disaster. I like when it’s about tv and disappointment.

Pioneers could not do anything else but survive. Of COURSE they shot rabbits and whatever else came along. Not only cause they were starving, but because their rifles were too long to turn around and aim at themselves.

At 7 am, Johnny Washer comes in to wash mom in the chilly room, and I get up to feed barn, and the Bess for school. When I go to get hay, there are guys working on the power line. THERE ARE GUYS THERE. It’s TUESDAY. Day 4.

I don’t believe anything will happen. It’s been too long. I sit down to write this last letter to my former self.

I miss you, little lamp that used to turn on. I miss you tv friends on old Seinfelds that I used to listen to while I sat with my mom and needlepointed. I miss the noise of life that usually drives me nuts, that I always try to mute or escape. I didn’t know these things were my soundtrack and that without them who am I. What am I fighting for. I think I knew I was alive because things were beeping and people were on commercials about new drugs with so many side effects and heat would click on without me even standing up. All this noise was the pain in the ass of my life and instead no it was the river and I was on a happy boat sifting through what to listen to and what to ignore. I was GOOD, I knew this river. I could navigate the modern world just like you, because we were born into it and we rolled along with it, as it changed, like we’re here to do. Look at all of us! We were doing so great! I didn't need to be out of it! I liked myself. And now look at this tattered pirate ship we’ve become, raising a black flag of moldy laundry, this new version of me is hardened, bitter, cynical, this is prison me. There’s no turning back.

Hey the lights came on.