staycation

staycation

all the kids

all the kids

Sunday, December 2, 2018

3 Days in a Trunk






I didn’t know I was missing art. I can’t draw, that’s real art, I mean, my art. Writing. Listening. Movies.

Somehow after 18 years of raising kids and writing a bunch of stuff, books, plays, essays, mostly unpublished…I was sitting in the trunk of our new (we miss the old, crashed) van while crew members scurried around, and I watched a monitor where two actors were playing my dead dogs having an argument about their terrible relationship and why they can’t just love each other.

A few people HAVE actually died since I wrote the plays that are becoming these movies. Dirk and Will, they were there in the trunk with me. Because I couldn’t see the actual actors, or even the sound person who was cozily crushed into the second row backseat with her blue hair and her bipolar attitude, I could just see my feet in socks, my monitor propped up on my stomach, and for 3 days I didn’t see blue sky recently washed by torrential rain ( Los Angeles miracle), I didn’t have to interact with crew so could remain mysterious (Trunk Girl) and on my lap I could only see their faces and my words all came out floating around the car that was also now an actor housing us and our scene together.

It’s a bizarre, unleashing and powerful situation to be listening and watching people say your private words. To share yourself – and then be on an actual ride of yourself. It was a ride, too, because the actors were speaking then driving erratically while sparring with funny and slightly sad dialogue, and then stopping and making out. It was like being a passenger in my own life while other people acted it out, in way better hair, lighting and clothing than when I acted out messily first while living it. All while never getting out of the trunk, like a stowaway.

I guess I was an immigrant, making the trip from making sandwiches every day to having a moment to let the funny words out. I know Tina Fey gets to make the funny words everyday, even while NOT in the trunk of her own van.

But I liked hearing my junk in the trunk. Unlike Tina Fey, I got 18 years of every moment with my kids. And now I’m getting time with my version of art. 3 days in the trunk. Feels like Hawaii.

Exotic. Expensive.

Rectangular. Covered in felt.

I wouldn’t trade 18 years, or the 3 days. All of it, and Dirk and Will

,belong to me.